J & M Murphy Ltd.

The history of J. & M. Murphy Limited dates to 1838 when Patrick Power opened a thriving dry goods business on the corner of Duke and Granville Streets in Halifax. Then, as now, the company supplied the general merchant with merchandise for resale throughout Nova Scotia.

A significant development of the business was the mysterious sinking of the steamship "City of Boston" on its voyage from Halifax to Liverpool, England, in 1870. Passengers on the ill fated ship included some of the most industrious merchants of the day, one of them being Patrick Power Jr. of P. Power and Company.

With the loss of his son and the suggestion of Archbishop Hanna, Patrick Sr. sold his business to one of the Archbishop's Irish relatives, John Murphy. He and his brother Michael founded J. & M. Murphy Company in 1873 as one of 20 dry goods businesses in Halifax. Today it is the only one that still remains.

Since that time the company has expanded through a number of historic locations until occupying its present site at 3514 Joseph Howe Drive. However, the past is only an inspiration to the present. J. & M. Murphy Limited has grown and changed in response to changing markets and tastes.

As a distributor of industrial and institutional workwear and linens, Murphy's today stocks the largest inventory east of Montreal. Company buyers choose from the best national and international workwear and make it immediately available to local customers.

What has not changed over the years is the company's dedication to personal service. In addition to a toll free phone order service. Murphy staff take to the road to give our clients attention and advice. If there's a secret to our longevity as a company, it's in keeping up to date with our clients needs for a good selection and value. It's a tradition we're dedicated to continue.

Services offered:

  • _: Uncategorized